Wednesday, March 9, 2011

YOUR Mindful Eating Guide-

In my last short post, Mindful Eating, we ventured into what it means to be a mindful eater. Awareness is the key to sustainable change, but what are the appropriate questions to ask to be a mindful eater?

STEP 1 -LISTENING AND ASKING APPROPRIATE QUESTIONS -

-Am I hungry?
-Is it food that my body is truly asking for?
-What sounds best?
-How would I feel after eating this?
-How much do I 'need'?
-Do I need more? Less?

These are very basic questions that can at least start the process. They will allow you to fine tune your feedback and prune as you move along.

Now, what about food? What about macro
or micro nutrients? How much fat/protein/carbs should each of us consume? I don't know, because I am not you. I am not in your body asking those questions. But I can start with a simple suggestion based on experience....

STEP 2 - GETTING BACK TO A MORE TRADITIONAL DIET COMPOSED OF HIGH QUALITY, NOURISHING ORGANIC FRUITS AND VEGETABLES THAT ARE PREFERABLY LOCAL, AND CONSUMING MEATS RAISED ON PASTURE, IS A GREAT PLACE TO START

If you're not there yet, no worries. Life is a journey... let's start now-
-what small changes can you make today that would be better? ex. adding fruit? adding vegetables? going organic? eliminating processed foods? fast food? etc.

-If you ask this question daily, you will be amazed how not only your nutrition/eating changes, but many other things-

Most diet books are based around strict guidelines eliminating huge portions of a traditional diet, whether that's meat, carbs or fat. I have tried many of the various diets out there and I am here to say none of them where built specifically for me. They did give me tools to ask better questions, and I did learn some interesting tidbits along the way. Many are based on the focus of quantity and pay very little respect to quality. What I have found, is that when we stick to foods that are closer to how they have thrived in nature, the potential for a food to be better for me goes way up!

It's not about a complete shift tomorrow, or the next day... but a gradual answer to the question... Is this better? Isn't that what it's ALL about? Being better today, than we were yesterday? It's really not rocket science, but it does take quality, tested practice and some patience. Ultimately what you come up with is a sustainable way to look and feel how you've always wanted.

STEP 3 - IF IT IS NOT WORKING, CHANGE IT

This is not ideology, it's biology. Our biology DOES change daily, hourly, by the minute and by the second. Our breakfast should look different on Monday than on Wednesday. Even if the foods are the same, things such as timing, quantity, speed should all be different. Learn to listen to these cues and I promise your body will thank you.

To learn more, check out my posts below-
Knowing Your Limits
Working Within Limits

If you are looking for sustainable food options or just want to learn more about local/organic/traditional eating please email me
brian@themovementdallas.com

peace-

No comments:

Post a Comment